Saturday, December 7, 2013

Look mommy, I see Santa!

Nat had been talking for WEEKS about meeting Santa.  She was excited and ready to ask him for a pair of pink mittens.  So when we came across a free (!) Santa one night at a Christmas parade, we hopped in the short line and talked about mittens.

Then we were first in line.  I felt the little fingers starting to grip my hand tighter. A little tighter.  And it was quiet.  Something is wrong when it is quiet.

Ok, Natalie ... it's our turn now.

I take a step towards Santa and realize the hand that is clinging to mine is not moving.  In fact, it is pulling me back.  It is TUGGING me back.  I pull forward and the brakes turned on.  The heels dug into the ground and the butt dropped lower to get more force into the backwards pull.  Daddy encouraged her to ask for mittens but the little mouth was clenched shut and yet starting to pout.

This was our ONE chance to see Santa... for free.  So I picked her up and carried her up to Santa thinking this would solve the problem.  We are now kicking and screaming.  I try to set her on Santa's lap but somehow over the past 8 feet, her hands have turned into suction cups and her coat melted into glue.  This kid was stuck to me.

And while I am not a big fan of the whole "let's go see Santa so you can ask him for something that I then have to go purchase while lying to you about who bought it for you" plan that has become the conversation piece of most of December, I wanted her first Santa experience to be as fun as she thought it was going to be.

Then Santa, in all his brilliant wisdom, suggested "why don't you just sit on my lap too, mom?"
 


Funny thing is, he didn't ask me what I wanted.  AND I had to stuff my own stocking again this year.

Bummer.

No comments:

Post a Comment