Saturday, August 17, 2013

Family Vacation 2013: Quandary Peak

While in Colorado, Auntie Adrienne, Scott and I decided we would tackle Quandary Peak.  The peak is 14, 265 feet high and ranks as the 13th highest mountain in Colorado (out of 53).




The east ridge trail is ranked as a Class 1 difficulty trail and begins at 10,850 feet and gains 3,450 feet over the 3.5 mile trip to the top.  The trail begins with an uphill climb right away in the woods.


 
 



The trail remains a relatively even, dirt path for the first 1.25 miles and then, just as you are nearing the treeline, turns quickly into a rugged steep and winding climb up the southeast flank of Quandary Peak (1.25 miles : 11,975').




The rock scrambling and climbing intensifies as you approach the spine. In many spots, the trail blends into the landscape but we just followed the mud tracks ahead of us.  

After a while it levels off briefly across a wide tundra bench (2.15 miles : 13,102').  This was where we began twirling and singing the Sound of Music to the goats.



At 2.3 miles (13,168') the path narrows and steepens considerably.  It also gets very close to the edge and those with vertigo (me) will begin to fight the internal battle.  My legs were fine but my brain was not enjoying this section of the trail. 


Methodical climbing over variously large and loose rock crosses 14,000' (2.9 miles) and about 100 feet higher in elevation is where I called it quits.  The snow trail was too much for my brain to process and conquer.  Scott and Adrienne continued on while I sat on a rock and watched the clouds on a beautiful day.  I listened to the snow melt and trickle through all the rock at the top.  It was something most people never hear unless it is quiet all around and you are sitting atop a giant rock pile.  While I was bummed that I didn't make it all the way, I enjoyed having 10-15 minutes to sit quietly atop the world and just watch.  It was amazingly beautiful.

Meanwhile, atop the Quandary...


Summit beer at 14,265 feet.
 And the delicious post-hike beer back at the house before we all collapsed...


No comments:

Post a Comment