Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Week with Grandparents

Grandpa ("Bop-pa") Husker and Grandma Becky came to stay with us at the Casa de Hayes for a while.  Daddy had already left for a backpacking trip with his buddies when they arrived and then mommy got up very early one morning a day or so after they arrived to meet daddy in Colorado for their annual kid-free summer vacation in Colorado.

Katie was at her mommy's house most of the days they were here but Bop-pa and Grandma got to see her after school everyday.  They took her to her swimming practice and let me splash around in the wading pool. Bop-pa and I read tons of books, many of them several times in the same day.  I can easily identify items on the page like shoes, mice, clock, moon, comb, books, dog. One day they took me for a ride in their really cool mini-van (I heard my mom say she wants to sell the Bronco and get one) and I got my first taste of Chic Fil A.  Grandma was very surprised that I ate the entire 4-piece nugget kids meal with fruit.  She even shared her waffle fries with me -- they were delicious!  We took a few trips in the car to Target and Home Depot and I got to walk around and look at things with Bop-pa while Grandma was doing the shopping.

Reading Goodnight Moon with Bop-pa
Every day after breakfast had a chance to settle, Bop-pa took me swimming for an hour or so in the backyard.  If he wasn't moving fast enough to get ready to get into the pool, I would go into my room and bring out my swimsuit or a swimmie diaper (if I could reach it) for Grandma to help me put on.

 

I'm not sure who looks more excited in this picture.

Swimming to Bop-pa looks a lot more like flying in this picture.

Sporting the new swim hoodie from Grandma
Grandma brought a set of matching pajamas for the Katie and me.  After a really fun bath with Grandma one night, I put on my new froggie nightgown.  A little while later, Katie came out of her room wearing hers and I thought it looked familiar.  So I looked down at my PJs and then up at Katie's and said "wow" before I started laughing.


After daddy and mommy returned home, I showed them how much I like to read books.  Since then, we've probably read Cinderella ("ella"), Pat the Bunny, Goodnight Moon ("moooooon") and various other books together at least 4-5 times each.  Every time I point to things in the book and tell you the word for that item.



The house is now very quiet and dinners have been boring now that mom is cooking again.  We were all a little sad to see Bop-pa and Grandma leave but we hope they have fun on their road trip home through Colorado and during their visit to see Auntie Adrienne in Denver.  We are glad we were finally able to convince them that summertime in Arizona, while yes, it is hot, is not so bad after all.  It just gives you an excuse to spend as much time as possible indoors or in the pool.

We love you --- come back soon!!!

Love, Natalie

No comments:

Post a Comment